Frequently Asked Questions


How can I apply for Admission?

All applications for admission must be made on the VLAB website via the VLAB online application portal (External link).

If you are unsure of which application category you fall under please email (External link) for advice before proceeding.

The online application portal will assist you to:

  • make application for a compliance certificate;
  • save and edit your application as often as you wish;
  • guide you through the requirements of the admission process;
  • view the status of your application; and
  • receive emails about the progress of your application.

When should I commence an application for a compliance certificate?

It is recommended that you commence your application a minimum of 2 months prior to your intended admission date. 


Will in-person Ceremonies resume?

The Supreme Court has suspended in-person ceremonies indefinitely.  VLAB do not know if or when ceremonies will continue, therefore we encourage all applicants to be admitted “on the papers”. 


What date will my admission be?

The actual date of your admission cannot be confirmed but subject to compliance with the Admission Calendar (External link).  It is expected your admission will be ordered “on the papers” by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in the scheduled month.


How will I know when I have been admitted?

The Chief Justice will make an Order admitting you as an Australian Lawyer and Officer of the Supreme Court of Victoria.  VLAB will inform you by email and your name will appear on the Supreme Court website. (External link)


Can I provide a certified copy of my academic transcript?

No.  VLAB requires your academic transcript to be emailed to us directly from your University.  Alternatively, you can share the My eQuals link with us.


Will VLAB accept my academic Graduation Statement (AHEGS) or Testamur instead of a transcript?

No.  VLAB requires your official transcript to be emailed to us directly from your University or you can share the My eQuals link with us.


I received academic credits; do I need to notify VLAB?

If you studied law at more than one tertiary institution and have been granted exemptions or credit in any areas of knowledge set out in Schedule 1 of the Rules, you must provide an academic transcript from each institution where you have studied, in addition to the institution which awarded the qualification. 

All transcripts are required to enable the Board to confirm that any exemptions or credits meet the current academic areas of knowledge.

If any previous exemptions or credits do not satisfy the academic areas of knowledge set out in Schedule 1 of the Rules or have not been undertaken in an accredited Australian law course, you may be required to reprise the subject to satisfy the academic requirements for admission.


My qualification is over 5 years old; do I need a Qualification Assessment?

Any applicant who relies on an academic or practical legal training qualification that is over five years old must be assessed by VLAB.

If your academic or practical legal training qualifications were completed more than five years ago, you will need to apply for an assessment of your qualifications.

An application can be made via the VLAB online application portal (External link).

You should set out the circumstances surrounding the delay in applying for admission.  You should provide details and evidence of further law related study and/or experience and attach a transcript of your academic records and an up-to-date curriculum vitae.

You cannot proceed with your application until your qualifications have been assessed.

Further information can be found in the Guide for Qualification Assessment (External link).


Can I apply for Concurrent Study?

To be considered for concurrent study you must have completed, and received the results, for all of the Priestley 11 subjects and have no more than two electives remaining to complete your law degree.

Concurrent study applications can be made on the VLAB website via the VLAB online application portal (External link).

To apply you will need to create an online application

  • select PLTC application type;
  • proceed to step 3, answer YES to the first question “Have you commenced a PLT prior to completion of your academic studies?”; and
  • NO to the second question “Have you sought and obtained pre-approval of your concurrent study from VLAB?”.

A field will open where you are required to upload a copy of your academic transcript or statement of results and a letter from your university confirming the remaining subject/s to complete your law degree.

In addition, you will need to provide information about your PLT provider and intended commencement date.

Please note your concurrent study application will not be considered until the required documents have been uploaded to your online application.

If you intend to commence PLT you should ensure that you application is submitted to VLAB a minimum of 10 business days prior to commencement of your course.

Further information can be found in the Guide for Concurrent Study (External link).


How do I order a police report?

Every applicant for admission must provide a Police Report which has been issued in Australia. The Report shows whether you have any criminal history in Australia. 

You must disclose Spent convictions when applying for admission as a lawyer.

You are required to obtain a Police Report issued by Victoria Police. You should order your Report when you commence your online application, allow 4-6 weeks to receive the Report.

It must: 

  1. be dated no earlier than six months prior to the date your admission application is received; and
  2. include all previous names by which you have been known.

Online Police Report Application Instructions

Applicants who reside in Australia must obtain a Police Report via the Victoria Police online application only.  Any other forms of police reports will not be accepted.  This can be found at: (External link) and follow the steps below.

  • Section A: Type of check required - Select National Name Check
  • Section B: Details of applicant - Ensure correct details are provided
  • Section C: Current, postal and previous residential address/es – Ensure correct details are provided
  • Section D: Payment provider – If your employer is paying for the police report check the Yes box, this section must then be completed by your employer, then go to Section E. If you are paying for the police report check the No box and go straight to Section E.
  • Section E: Purpose of check - Choose in Option 1 (Employment, Occupational Licensing, Visa or Insurance Purposes),then choose Other.   In Other you MUST type the words “Legal Admission”. (If you type anything other than Legal Admission, e.g. Admission as a Lawyer, Admission to Supreme Court, Admission to VLAB etc. we will not accept your police report).
  • Section F: Certification, authorisation and statement of consent and indemnity – Insert your name but do not sign or date the form.
  • Section G: Proof of identity - You must provide a minimum of two (2) types of identification from the list with a minimum total of 100 points, including at least one type of photo ID from category A.

You must complete the Proof of Identify list and details. 

You are required to print the application form once it has been completed and take it to a certifier with your original proof of identity documents and a copy of your proof of identity documents.     A list of persons able to certify your identity documents is listed on Page 3 of the application.  You must sign and date Section F in the presence of the certifier.  The certifier must also sign and date each copy of your proof of identity documents (100 points) and complete and sign the Certifier Use Only in Section G of the application.

  • Complete the applicant checklist below section G.


Pay online or attach a cheque or money order with the required fee. Attach all the paperwork including payment and mail to the address listed on the application form.

Payment for police records checks can be made online (External link) or via cheque or money order payable to Victoria Police. Cheques/bank drafts must be issued by an Australian financial institution.


I have emailed my documents to VLAB; why have they not been uploaded to my application?

Due to the high volume of documents VLAB receive, please allow a minimum of 3 business days for us to upload documents to your application.


I have uploaded a disclosure statement.  Will I receive a response?

You should allow a minimum of 10 business days for your disclosure statement to be reviewed.  You will receive an email when it has been assessed to advise approval or referral for further review.  Disclosure statements that have not provided a full and frank account of matters or are significant may require an applicant to file a further disclosure statement with additional material. 


Who can witness my Statutory Declaration?

A list of authorised statutory declaration witnesses can be found on the Victoria State Government website via the following link (External link).


Who is an Authorised Affidavit Taker?

A complete list of authorised affidavit takers can be found on the Victoria State Government website via the following link (External link).


How can I pay the Admission Fee?

The following fees are payable under the Legal Profession Uniform Law Act 2014 for admission to the Australian Legal Profession in Victoria:

  1. a prescribed general fee of $100.00, to be applied to meet the expense of the Victorian Legal Admissions Board.  The fee relates to administrative services for the processing of an application for a compliance certificate;
  2. a prescribed library fee of $560.00, to be applied for the purposes of the Supreme Court Library; and
  3. any fee payable under the Supreme Court Act 1986 for admission to the Australian Legal profession.  The current fee is $310.40.   This is a filing fee payable to the Supreme Court for the admission of a Lawyer to the Court and the Authentication of an Order.

These fees are stipulated under the Act and remain payable by an eligible person seeking admission to the Supreme Court of Victoria.

All fees are made via the Service Victoria payment portal.  Payment can be made by either Visa, Mastercard or PayPal.


When can I pay the Admission Fee?

When all documents have been uploaded and your application is approved you will receive an email with a link to pay the fees.  The payment email will not be sent until all documentation has been received and reviewed by VLAB.


Can my employer, family member or friend pay the Admission Fee on my behalf?

Yes, please forward the payment email link to them.


Can I make payment via sending a cheque or making a deposit into your Bank Account?

No, The Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB) is part of the Department of Justice and Community Safety and they have advised VLAB payments will not be accepted by cheque or direct deposits.


Can I make payment using an Amex or Diners card?

Amex and Diners cards are accepted when making payment via PayPal


Why is my PayPal payment not working?

If you are having trouble paying via PayPal, firstly ensure you are logged into your PayPal account before attempting to pay.

If you wish to pay using PayPal Guest checkout, you can only do so if you have not previously used the same email and/or payment card with PayPal.

If you have used PayPal before, you will need to checkout with your PayPal registered details. You will otherwise receive one of several errors due to identity verification regulations. Please note that these are AUSTRAC regulations & applicable for all Australian transactions ( (External link)).

If you are unable to make a payment through PayPal please contact us for further information.


I have made payment, what is the next step?

When VLAB has received payment, you will be eligible for a compliance certificate to be issued at the next Victorian Legal Admissions Committee meeting, in accordance with the Admission Calendar (External link).

A copy of your compliance certificate and instructions regarding the requirement of an affidavit for the Supreme Court, will be emailed within 3 days of the issue of your compliance certificate.  Compliance certificates are issued at the monthly Committee meeting.


Will I need someone to move my admission?

Victoria is not currently conducting in-person admission ceremonies and therefore no movers are required for admissions on the papers.


How will I receive my Admission Order if I am admitted “on the papers”?

Your Admission Order will be mailed to you by the Supreme Court of Victoria.

Please be advised that you do not need to provide your Admission Order to the Victorian Legal Services Board in order to apply for a practising certificate as they are provided a copy when you are admitted.


How can I retrieve a copy of my Admission Order?

Admission orders are managed and produced by the Supreme Court.  You will have to contact the Supreme Court Principal Registry at (External link)

Further information can be found on the Supreme Court website (External link).


Where do I get a Practising Certificate?

VLAB is the admitting authority only.  Once you have been admitted by VLAB, you will need to apply for a practising certificate.  All queries relating to practising certificates in Victoria should be directed to the Victorian Legal Services Board.  Further information can be found on their website, (External link).


Do I need to be admitted in Victoria if I have been admitted in another State?

Once you have been admitted in any state in Australia, it is not necessary to be admitted again in another state.

If you wish to practise in Victoria, you will require a Victorian practising certificate.  This is issued and managed by the Victorian Legal Services Board.

Further information can be found on the Victorian Legal Services Board website (External link).


I have an overseas law degree and want to practice law in Victoria, what do I have to do?

You must first apply for a skills assessment, this is done online (External link).  Dependent upon your academic and work history, the Board will seek additional academic study and practical legal training be undertaken as part of any assessment.


How do I get my documents certified?

Certain documents are required to be certified, you can find an example on how to do this at (External link)


I have just paid for and submitted my foreign assessment, how long will it be before I hear back?

The assessment process can take up to 8 weeks to complete, we will provide you with your assessment letter upon completion.


I have completed all the requirements of my foreign assessment, how do I apply for a compliance certificate?

VLAB will open up an application for a compliance certificate on your behalf, we do this so your original assessment is linked to you application for a compliance certificate. Please email us at (External link) when you are ready


How do I become a conveyancer in Victoria?

You will need to contact the Business Licensing Authority. More information can be found on their website (External link)


I want to apply to the New York Bar and need a letter, what do I need to provide you with?

You are required to email us at (External link), you will need to provide us with an official transcript (direct from the University or a certified copy) along with your BOLE ID. We will then send a letter directly to the New York State Board of Law Examiners.


I am an applicant for admission and am due to be admitted soon but require a letter for the purposes of immigration, can you provide me with a letter?

Yes, you are required to email us at (External link), and we can provide you with a letter for immigration .


I have some queries relating to my Australian visa or passport application, can you help me?

No, you are required to contact the Department of Home Affairs. You can find more information at