The Victorian Legal Admissions Board ("the Board") provides for the operation of the Legal Profession Uniform Admission Rules 2015 ("the Rules") and has delegated Section 17 of the Legal Profession Uniform Law ("the Law") to the Victorian Legal Admissions Committee ("the Committee").
The Supreme Court of Victoria may admit a person to the Australian legal profession as an Australian lawyer if the person:
- is aged 18 years or over;
- is not already admitted to the Australian legal profession;
- has attained the specified academic qualifications prerequisite;
- has satisfactorily completed the specified practical legal training prerequisite;
- is a fit and proper person to be admitted to the Australian legal profession; and
- takes an oath of office, or makes an affirmation of office, in the form required by the Supreme Court.
The Committee will assess and determine an application for a compliance certificate. If satisfied of the eligibility and suitability of an applicant, the Board may issue the Supreme Court with a compliance certificate in respect of the applicant.
For more information on readmission as a lawyer, please contact the Board via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .