Small TextLarge TextPrint

What You May Do

If you have not been admitted as a legal practitioner in a place outside Australia, you may choose one of the following three ways of qualifying for admission to the legal profession in Victoria:

1. You may proceed to be admitted as a legal practitioner in your home country. Once you have been admitted, you may then apply to the Council to have your academic and practical legal training qualifications assessed for the purpose of being admitted in Victoria.

2. You may choose to obtain the degree of Bachelor of Laws, or its equivalent, at an approved Australian university and then either undertake 12 months' Supervised Workplace Training in a legal office as a trainee, or a Practical Legal Training Course offered by an approved Practical Legal Training provider in Victoria.

Entry to a university law course is entirely a matter for the university concerned. If a university does offer you a place, it may first require you to undertake an English language test and grant you some limited credit for certain subjects already undertaken in your home jurisdiction.

The approved universities in Victoria are:

You may also complete a course at an approved university as per Rule 2.02 (1) of the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2008.

3. You may apply to the Council for a direction under rule 4.02 of the Legal Profession (Admission) Rules 2008 (Vic) as to whether or not your existing academic qualifications and practical legal training are sufficient to be admitted to the legal profession in Victoria.

(i) You may only apply for such a direction if you already hold an academic qualification recognised in your home jurisdiction as meeting the requirements for admission in that jurisdiction (for example, an LL.B. degree or equivalent).  You may also have competed any other formal practical legal training required for admission in that jurisdiction, such as a Legal Practice Course.

Page last updated 13th Sep 2012